This medicine contains the active ingredient xylometazoline, which is a nasal decongestant. The nasal decongestant in this product helps to open up the nasal passages by reducing the excessive nasal secretions and reducing the swollen blood vessels. It helps you breathe more easily, opens the nasal and paranasal sinuses and Eustachian tube and relieves the accompanying symptoms of the common cold.
This medicine is used for:
- reduction of swelling of nasal mucosa in acute colds, vasomotor and allergic rhinitis.
- reduction of discharge of secretions in the case of paranasal sinusitis and catarrhal otitis media associated with cold.
Is Xylometazoline suitable for me?
Xylometazoline is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to xylometazoline or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have chronic rhinitis with little or no secretion (rhinitis sicca)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are being treated with monoaminooxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
- have increased pressure in your eye, especially if you have narrow angle glaucoma
- have a severe heart problem (such as coronary heart disease or high blood pressure)
- have any metabolic disorders (such as an overactive thyroid gland or diabetes)
- have a tumor of the adrenal gland (pheochromocytoma)
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
Xylometazoline interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Xylometazoline?
This medicine is available in form of nasal spray, solution.
You should take xylometazoline exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Nasal spray containing 0.5 mg/ml of xylometazoline is intended for children from 2 to 6 years of age. Unless otherwise directed by a doctor or pharmacist, use one spray in each nostril up to 3 times a day.
- Nasal spray containing 1 mg/ml of xylometazoline is intended only for adults and children older than 6 years. Unless otherwise directed by a doctor or pharmacist, use one spray in each nostril up to 3 times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and apply the medicine at the same time each day. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Xylometazoline side effects?
Like all medicines xylometazoline can cause side effects, including:
- stinging or burning sensation in the nose and throat
- dry lining of the nose (nasal mucosa)
- headache, raised blood pressure
- feeling sick
- heart palpitations
- temporary visual disturbances
- systemic allergic reactions
- worsening of congestion symptoms after stopping use of the product
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.