This medicine contains the active ingredient topiramate. This medicine belongs to a group of antiepileptic medicines. These medicines are used to treat epilepsy by stabilizing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain. This unusual electrical brain activity can cause fits or seizures in epilepsy (symptoms like abnormal muscle movements, twitches, visual and taste disturbances, unresponsiveness, loss of consciousness). Topiramate is prescribed for the treatment of epilepsy and prevention of migraine headaches in adults.
Is Topiramate suitable for me?
Topiramate is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to topiramate, or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are pregnant or you are able to become pregnant
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have kidney problems, or are getting kidney dialysis
- have a history of blood and body fluid abnormality
- have liver problems
- have eye problems, especially glaucoma
- have a growth problem
- are on a high fat diet
- have blood disorder called porphyria
Topiramate interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Topiramate?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take topiramate exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your age, condition and needs.
- The usual starting dose for adults is 25 mg at night. The dose will be increased gradually to a regular maintenance dose, which is taken twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Topiramate side effects?
Like all medicines topiramate can cause side effects, including:
- stuffy, runny nose
- sore throat
- tingling, pain and/or numbness
- sleepiness, tiredness
- nausea, diarrhea
- weight loss
- allergic reaction
- loss of appetite
- aggression, agitation
- anger, abnormal behavior
- difficulty falling or staying asleep
- slurred speech
- clumsiness or lack of coordination
- loss of, or no sense of taste
- involuntary trembling or shaking
- rapid, uncontrollable movements of the eyes
- double vision, blurred vision, decreased vision
- vertigo, ringing in the ears, ear pain
- shortness of breath
- nose bleeds
- fever, weakness
- vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain or discomfort
- indigestion, stomach or intestinal infection
- dry mouth
- hair loss
- joint pain or swelling
- muscle spasms or twitching
- muscle aches or weakness
- chest pain
- weight gain
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.