This medicine contains the active ingredient tolterodine which belongs to a group of medicines called antimuscarinics. These medicines are used to help relax the bladder muscles and prevent the bladder contraction. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of overactive bladder syndrome which occurs when the bladder muscles are unpredictably contracting, causing frequent urination and inability to control urination.
Is Tolterodine suitable for me?
Tolterodine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to tolterodine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have urinary retention (inability to pass urine)
- if you have an uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma (high pressure in the eyes)
- if you suffer from myasthenia gravis (weakness of the muscles)
- if you suffer from severe ulcerative colitis (ulceration and inflammation of the colon)
- if you suffer from a toxic megacolon
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have glaucoma
- have blockage of the bladder, stomach, or bowel
- have stomach or bowel problems
- suffer from cord injury
- have dementia
- have liver or kidney problems
- have a history of irregular heartbeat ( prolonged QT, long QT syndrome)
- have cardiomyopathy (weak heart muscle)
- have myocardial ischaemia (reduced blood flow to the heart)
- have arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- have heart failure
- have abnormally low levels of potassium (hypokalaemia), calcium (hypocalcaemia) or magnesium (hypomagnesaemia) in your blood
Tolterodine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Tolterodine?
This medicine is available in form of prolonged-release capsules.
You should take tolterodine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 4 mg prolonged-release capsule per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not miss any doses and use the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Tolterodine side effects?
Like all medicines tolterodine can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, sleepiness, headache
- dry eyes, blurred vision
- abdominal pain
- excessive amounts of air or gases in the stomach or the intestine
- painful or difficult urination
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.