This medicine contains the active ingredient tiotropium bromide which belongs to a group of medicines called bronchodilators. These medicines make the breathing easier by widening the airways in the lungs. Tiotropium bromide is used for the treatment of asthma by reducing the symptoms (tight chest, wheezing and coughing) and preventing the attack, as well as for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) (disease that causes breathing difficulties). You should take this medicine regularly to ensure complete effect.
Is Tiotropium bromide suitable for me?
Tiotropium bromide is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to tiotropium bromide or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if it is meant for treatment of a sudden attack of breathlessness or wheezing
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have problems with your kidneys or prostate
- have any difficulty passing urine
- have increased pressure in your eyes (glaucoma)
- are suffering from blurred vision, eye pain and/or red eyes
- suffered from irregular heart beat or severe heart failure
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
Tiotropium bromide interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Tiotropium bromide?
This medicine is available in form of inhalation powder.
You should take tiotropium bromide exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is 2 puffs once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Tiotropium bromide side effects?
Like all medicines tiotropium bromide can cause side effects, including:
- taste disorders
- blurred vision
- irregular heart beat
- sore throat
- fungal infections of the oral cavity and throat
- difficulty passing urine
- painful urination
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.