This medicine contains the active ingredient terbinafine which belongs to a group of medicines called antifungal agents (antimycotic) for use on the skin. These medicines are used to treat and prevent fungal and yeast infections by invading the affected areas of the skin and killing the fungi or impeding their growth. Terbinafine is used to treat fungal infections of the skin such as infection known as
- Athlete's foot (tinea pedis);
- Fungal infections of the foot (tinea pedis plantar type);
- Fungal infection of the groin (tinea cruris);
- Fungal infections on other parts of the body (tinea corporis);
- Skin candidiasis (intertrigo or rashes caused by sweating);
- Pityriasis (tinea) versicolor.
Is Terbinafine suitable for me?
Terbinafine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you have an allergy (hypersensitivity) to terbinafine, or other ingredient of this medicine
- if it is meant for children and adolescents under 12 years
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Terbinafine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Terbinafine?
This medicine is available in form of cream and cutaneous spray, solution.
You should use terbinafine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The cream is applied 2 to 3 times a day to the affected area, in a thin layer.
- Apply the spray once or twice a day to the affected area unless your doctor advises you differently.
- Terbinafine is usually used for 1 or 2 weeks.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Terbinafine side effects?
Like all medicines terbinafine can cause side effects at the application site, including:
- peeling of the skin, itching at the application site
- damage to the skin, scabs
- skin disorders, skin discoloration
- redness, burning sensation, pain at the application site
- irritation at the application site
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.