This medicine contains the active ingredient simvastatin which belongs to a group of medicines known as statins. These medicines control the amount of lipid (fat) in the body by blocking the production of the excessive amounts of damaging fats. One type of lipid is called cholesterol which, if there is a high amount of it in the body, can cause serious diseases of heart and blood vessel. Simvastatin lowers the amount of cholesterol. It can also reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and heart attack if there is a possibility for it.
Is Simvastatin suitable for me?
Simvastatin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are hypersensitive to simvastatin or to any of the other ingredients of the medicine
- if you have or have ever had liver disease
- if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- if you are breast-feeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- regularly drink large amounts of alcohol
- have kidney problems
- have an under-active thyroid gland
- have ever had liver disease
- have a problem with unexplained muscle aches or pain
- have severe lung disease
- are planning surgery
Simvastatin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Simvastatin?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take simvastatin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. You will be prescribed your dose according to your needs.
- The usual starting dose is 10 or 20 mg once a day. The maximum dose of simvastatin is 80 mg per day for adults and 40 mg for children.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Simvastatin side effects?
Like all medicines simvastatin can cause side effects, including:
Rare side effects:
- low red blood cell count
- numbness or weakness of the arms and legs
- headache, tingling sensation, dizziness
- abdominal pain, constipation,
- flatulence, indigestion, diarrhea,
- nausea, vomiting
- rash, itching, hair loss
- memory loss, confusion
Very rare side effects:
- poor memory
- inflammation of the pancreas
- inflammation of the liver
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.