This medicine contains the active ingredient simethicone, which is an anti-foaming agent (anti-flatulent). This substance works by breaking up gas bubbles, and it decreases foaming. This medicine is prescribed for the efficient elimination of bloating caused by accumulation of gases and reduction of tension in the abdomen, bloating, pressure in the upper abdomen and rumbling in the stomach and intestines. It is particularly used for:
- The treatment of symptoms caused by the formation of gas in the stomach and intestines, such as flatulence (meteorism), and feeling of fullness
- As a preparation for diagnostic examinations of the stomach and intestines, such as X-ray and ultrasound.
Is Simethicone suitable for me?
Simethicone is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to simethicone, or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Simethicone interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Simethicone?
This medicine is available in form of soft capsules, oral drops and granules.
You should take simethicone exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Soft capsules: For the treatment of the symptoms caused by the formation of gas in the stomach or intestines, the usual dose is 2 capsules (80 mg) taken 3 to 4 times a day, before or after a meal.
- Oral drops: For the treatment of the symptoms caused by the formation of gas in the stomach or intestines, the usual dose is 25 to 50 drops (1 to 2 ml) taken 3 to 5 times a day.
- Granules: The usual dose is one or two bags of granules taken before or after each meal. If necessary, the contents of one bag can be taken before going to sleep. The maximum daily dose for adults should not exceed 8 bags, equivalent to 1000 mg of simethicone. The maximum daily dose for children is 3 bags, equivalent to 375 mg of simethicone.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Simethicone side effects?
Simethicone has no known side effects.
Any noticed side effects should be reported to the doctor or pharmacist.