This medicine contains the active ingredient sildenafil which is a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor. Medicines like this stop the action of PDE5 enzyme on muscle cells that line the body of a penis, and this widens the blood vessels and enables the blood to flow more easily into the penis during sexual excitement. Sildenafil is prescribed for erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men.
Is Sildenafil suitable for me?
Sildenafil is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it if you
- are allergic (hypersensitive) to sildenafil or to any of the other ingredients in this medicine
- if you have a serious heart or liver problem
- if you have recently had a stroke or a heart attack
- if you have low blood pressure
- if you have eye diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa
- if you have ever had loss of vision
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have sickle cell anemia
- have leukemia (cancer of blood cells)
- have multiple myeloma (cancer of bone marrow)
- have a deformity of your penis or Peyronie’s Disease
- have heart problems or blood vessel disease
- have a stomach ulcer, or a bleeding problem
- have eye problem causing sudden decrease or loss of vision
- have low blood pressure or angina
- have any problems with the way your liver works or with the way your kidneys work
Sildenafil interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Sildenafil?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take sildenafil exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual starting dose is 50 mg taken once a day, about one hour before intercourse.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Sildenafil side effects?
Like all medicines sildenafil can cause side effects, including:
- color tinge to vision
- blurred vision, visual disturbance
- stuffy nose and dizziness
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.