This medicine contains two active ingredients, Ramipril and Hydrochlorothiazide. Ramipril belongs to the group of medicines called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. ACE inhibitors do not allow the production of angiotensin II hormone which causes the compression of the blood vessels, so that they are relaxed and wide and the blood pressure is lowered. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid. Ampril H is prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure.
Is Ampril H suitable for me?
Ampril H is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to Ramipril, Hydrochlorothiazide, other ACE inhibitor medicines, diuretics or other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are receiving dialysis
- if you have serious liver problems
- if you have kidney problems where the blood supply to your kidney is reduced (renal artery stenosis)
- If your blood pressure is abnormally low or unstable
- If you are taking medicines containing aliskiren
- If you have diabetes
- if you are more than 3 months pregnant
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a heart problem
- have diabetes
- have kidney or liver problems
- are going to receive an anesthetic
- have problems with your immune system
- are on a low salt diet
- have atherosclerosis (fatty deposits on the walls of your arteries)
- have peripheral vascular disease (poor circulation)
- have collagen vascular disease, as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or scleroderma
- have cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), or aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main blood vessel from your heart)
- have ever had angioedema
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Ampril H interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Ampril H?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Ampril H exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Ampril H side effects?
Like all medicines Ampril H can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, headache
- nausea, vomiting
- skin rash
- fainting, hypotension (abnormally low blood pressure)
- inflammation of your sinuses (sinusitis) or bronchitis, shortness of breath
- stomach or gut pain, diarrhea, indigestion
- cramps or pain in your muscles
- more potassium than usual in your blood
- increased blood sugar levels
- increased levels of uric acid or fat in the blood
- depression, confusion
- taste disturbance
- fast heartbeat
- runny nose
- stomach pain or indigestion
- skin rash or itching
- tiredness, weakness
- heartburn, constipation or dry mouth
- passing more water (urine) than usual
- loss of appetite
- swollen arms and legs
- blurred vision
- pain in your joints
- increased number of certain white blood cells (eosinophilia)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.