This medicine contains three active ingredients, antibiotic (tyrothricin), corticosteroid (prednisolone) and local anesthetic (tetracaine). It is used only locally in the external ear canal, and only when the eardrum is not damaged. These medicines are used for the reduction of inflammation, pain and itching in the outer ear channel and for the reduction of the feeling of tension and pain in middle ear inflammation. These ear drops are used to suppress pain and inflammatory reactions in the outer ear canal, which are followed by uncomplicated, acute inflammation of the outer ear (otitis externa acutis).
Is Otol H suitable for me?
Otol H is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to prednisolone, tyrothricin, tetracaine hydrochloride or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have or are suspected to have perforated (damaged) eardrum;
- if it is meant for a child under the age of 2
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are using any other ear drops
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Otol H interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Otol H?
This medicine is available in form of ear drops.
You should take Otol H exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for adults is 5-6 drops every hour in the affected ear, (or soaked sterile gauze placed into the ear canal), and the usual dose for children older than 2 years is 2-4 drops.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Otol H side effects?
Like all medicines Otol H can cause side effects, including:
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.