This medicine contains two active ingredients, perindopril and amlodipine. Perindopril belongs to the group of medicines called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. ACE inhibitors do not allow the production of angiotensin II hormone which causes the compression of the blood vessels, so that they are relaxed and wide and the blood pressure is lowered. Amlodipine belongs to a group of medicines called calcium antagonists. They lower the amount of calcium in the walls of the arteries and in the heart. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure and stable coronary artery disease (the blood supply to the heart is reduced or blocked).
Is Amlessa suitable for me?
Amlessa is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to perindopril, amlodipine, other ACE inhibitor medicines, calcium antagonists or other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are taking medicines containing aliskiren
- if you have cardiogenic shock (when the heart is unable to supply sufficient blood to the body)
- if you have aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main blood vessels leading from the heart) or unstable angina (chest pain that may occur when resting)
- if you have severe low blood pressure (severe hypotension)
- if you have low or high blood potassium
- if you have heart failure
- if you are more than 3 months pregnant
- if you are breastfeeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a heart problem
- have diabetes
- have kidney or liver problems
- are receiving dialysis
- have problems with your immune system
- are on a low salt diet
- have atherosclerosis (fatty deposits on the walls of your arteries)
- have peripheral vascular disease (poor circulation)
- have collagen vascular disease, as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) or scleroderma
- have cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), or aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main blood vessel from your heart)
- have ever had angioedema (your face, tongue or throat swells)
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Amlessa interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Amlessa?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Amlessa exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one tablet taken once a day (before breakfast).
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Amlessa side effects?
Like all medicines Amlessa can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, headache
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- skin rash
- vision disturbance
- shortness of breath
- abdominal pain
- taste disturbances
- dyspepsia or difficulty of digestion
- muscle cramps
- feeling of tiredness
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.