This medicine contains the active ingredient olmesartan which belongs to angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). These medicines stop the activation of Angiotensin-II receptors in blood vessels which causes the blood vessels to widen, and the blood pressure to lower. Olmesartan is prescribed for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure).
Is Olmesartan suitable for me?
Olmesartan is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to olmesartan, or other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are more than 3 months pregnant
- If you are being treated with aliskiren
- If you suffer from yellowing of the skin and eyes or problems with drainage of the bile from the gallbladder
- If you have severe liver problems
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- get excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- have kidney, liver or hearth problems
- are treated with high doses of water tablets (diuretics)
- have increased levels of potassium in your blood
- have problems with your adrenal glands
- have cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), or aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main blood vessel from your heart)
Olmesartan interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Olmesartan?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take olmesartan exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual starting dose is one 10 mg tablet per day. The usual maintenance dose is between 20 and 40 mg per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Olmesartan side effects?
Like all medicines olmesartan can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, headache,
- nausea, indigestion,
- diarrhea, stomach ache,
- sore throat,
- runny or stuffy nose, bronchitis,
- flu-like symptoms,
- cough, pain, pain in the chest, back, bones or joints,
- infection of the urinary tract,
- swelling of ankles, feet, legs, hands, or arms,
- blood in the urine,
- increased fat levels (hypertriglyceridaemia),
- increased uric acid levels (hyperuricaemia),
- rise in blood urea,
- increases in tests of liver and muscle function
- feeling unwell,
- muscular pain,
- skin rash, allergic skin rash,
- itching, exanthema (skin eruption),
- skin lumps (wheals),
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.