This medicine contains the active ingredient norfloxacin which belongs to a group of medicines called fluoroquinolones. These antibiotics are used to stop several bacterial infections by destroying bacteria and preventing their growth. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of the simple and complicated infections of the urinary tract (including cystitis) and prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli.
Is Norfloxacin suitable for me?
Norfloxacin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to norfloxacin or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have inflammation of a tendon (tendonitis) or a history of ruptured tendon caused by norfloxacin or another fluoroquinolone
- if you have a myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness)
- you are taking certain antiarrhythmic medicines or nitrofurantoin
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- have heart, kidney or liver problems
- have epilepsy or other neurological conditions
- have tendon problems
- have diabetes
- have myasthenia gravis
- have heart problems
- have a stomach infection
- have brain or nervous system problems
- have increased pressure in the brain, Alzheimer disease, brain blood vessel problems
- have recently had a heart attack
- have blood problems or glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) problems
Norfloxacin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Norfloxacin?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take norfloxacin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose will depend on the infection you have.
- For the most conditions it is one 400 mg tablet taken every 12 hours (twice a day).
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Norfloxacin side effects?
Like all medicines norfloxacin can cause side effects, including:
- sour stomach
- bitter taste
- excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
- weight loss
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.