This medicine contains the active ingredient nifuroxazide which is an oral nitrofuran antibiotic (intestinal anti-infective). This medicine slows down an overactive bowel irritated by bacteria, such as Staphylococcus pyogenes, E. Coli, Salmonella, Shigellae, Enterobacter, Clostridium perfringens and other. Nifuroxazide is used to treat acute cases of diarrhea in adults and children. Long lasting diarrheas can cause dehydration and weakness, so it is important to start the treatment as soon as possible.
Is Nifuroxazide suitable for me?
Nifuroxazide is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to nifuroxazide, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if it is meant for the treatment of children under 2 years od age
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have intolerance to some sugars
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Nifuroxazide interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Nifuroxazide?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule and oral suspension.
You should take nifuroxazide exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for capsules is 200 mg taken 3 to 4 times a day (a total of 600 mg to 800 mg daily).
- The usual dose for oral suspension is 5 ml taken 3 to 4 times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Nifuroxazide side effects?
Like all medicines nifuroxazide can cause side effects, including:
- cutaneous eruption
- swelling of the face, tongue or neck
- anaphylactic shock
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.