This medicine contains two active ingredients, 3500IU/1g of neomycin and 500IU/1g of bacitracin which are antibiotics. These antibiotics are used to stop several bacterial infections by destroying bacteria and preventing their growth. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of the infections of the skin caused by gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, like impetigo (contagious skin condition with sores, blisters, rash, and itchiness) and folliculitis (pimples with a hair in the center with pus, itchiness and burning sensation), and for the treatment of infected superficial wounds, burns, ulcers.
Is Bivacyn suitable for me?
Bivacyn is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to neomycin, bacitracin or other ingredients of this medicine
- if the large areas of skin are infected
- if it is meant for a child under 2 years of age
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- have kidney problems
- have myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness)
- have a metabolic disorder
- have large areas of open wounds or damaged skin to be treated
Bivacyn interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Bivacyn?
This medicine is available in form of cutaneous powder and ointment.
You should use Bivacyn exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose will depend on the infection you have.
- It is usually applied to the affected skin two to four times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Bivacyn side effects?
Like all medicines Bivacyn can cause side effects, including:
- hypersensitivity reactions
Other side effects:
- severe allergic reactions, which can sometimes be life-threatening
- hearing disorders, deafness, damage to the balance center
- skin irritation, skin hypersensitivity
- swelling, itching, hives, contact dermatitis, superinfection
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.