This medicine contains the active ingredient montelukast which is a leukotriene receptor antagonist. These medicines are used when the cells in our body produce a chemical called leukotriene which causes narrowing and swelling of the airways in the lungs. Montelukast is used for the treatment of asthma, by managing and impeding its symptoms.
Is Montelukast suitable for me?
Montelukast is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to montelukast or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- suffer from acute asthma attacks
- have an intolerance to some sugars
Montelukast interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Montelukast?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet and chewable tablet.
You should take montelukast exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose for tablets is one 10 mg tablet taken once a day, in the evening.
- The usual dose for chewable tablets is one 4 mg or 5 mg tablet taken once a day, in the evening (1 hour before or 2 hours after food).
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Montelukast side effects?
Like all medicines montelukast can cause side effects, including:
- colds (upper respiratory infection)
- abdominal pain
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- red, itchy skin
- increased amounts of certain substances in the blood
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.