This medicine contains the active ingredient methylergometrine. Methylergometrine is a semisynthetic derivative of ergometrine, which belongs to a group of medicines known as ergot alkaloids. These medicines stop the excessive bleeding that sometimes occurs after abortion or after baby is delivered by causing the muscle of the uterus to contract with more speed and power. Methylergometrine is prescribed for post-partum and uterine bleeding, for the management of the third stage of labor and for the faster reduction of the uterus after childbirth.
Is Methylergometrine suitable for me?
Methylergometrine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to methylergometrine, ergometrine or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have hypertension (high blood pressure)
- if you have eclampsia or preeclampsia
- if you are pregnant
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have angina or other heart problems
- have blood vessel disease
- have high blood pressure
- have had a stroke
- have kidney or liver disease
- have raynaud's phenomenon
Methylergometrine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Methylergometrine?
This medicine is available in form of oral drops.
You should take methylergometrine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose is between 0,125 mg and 0,187 mg (10-15 drops) three times per day, for a maximum of 7 days.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Methylergometrine side effects?
Like all medicines methylergometrine can cause side effects, including:
- increase in blood pressure
- abdominal pain
- nausea and vomiting
- heart attack
- transient chest pain
- narrowing of blood vessels
- vasospasm, coronary artery spasm
- bradycardia (slow heart rate)
- tachycardia (rapid heart rate)
- shortness of breath
- blood in urine
- inflammation of the superficial veins
- leg cramps
- ringing in the ears
- stuffy nose
- unpleasant taste in the mouth
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.