This medicine contains the active ingredient memantine which belongs to a group of medicines called anti-dementia medicines (NMDA-receptor antagonists). These medicines improve the efficiency of the circulation of nerve signals in our brain which are important for learning and memorizing. Memantine is prescribed for the patient suffering from Alzheimer`s disease, and it reduces the symptoms like memory loss and behavioral changes.
Is Memantine suitable for me?
Memantine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to memantine or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have seizures or convulsions
- have congestive heart, an uncontrolled hypertension (high blood pressure) or have recently had a heart attack
- have liver or kidney problems
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breast feeding
Memantine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Memantine?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take memantine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for the first week of the treatment is 5 mg per day. For the next 3 weeks the dose is increased by 5 mg, until it is 20 mg per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Memantine side effects?
Like all medicines memantine can cause side effects, including:
- elevated liver function tests
- balance disorders
- shortness of breath
- high blood pressure
- fungal infections
- abnormal gait
- heart failure and venous blood clotting
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.