This medicine contains the active ingredient meloxicam which is also called a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), or just 'anti-inflammatory'. NSAIDs are used to ease pain, stiffness and inflammation of conditions that affect muscles, bones and joints. Meloxicam is also used to reduce pain and inflammation in rheumatic conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
Meloxicam, as well as other NSAIDs, eases pain and inflammation by blocking the production of chemicals called ‘prostaglandins’, which are produced at sites of injury or damage.
Is Meloxicam suitable for me?
Meloxicam is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to meloxicam, other NSAIDs or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have ever had a peptic ulcer or bleeding in your gut
- if you have heart disease and/or cerebrovascular disease
- if you just had or will have heart bypass surgery
- if you have kidney or liver failure
- if you have or have had problems with your blood circulation
- if you are in your last three months of pregnancy
- if you are trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have ever had any disease of the stomach or intestine
- have asthma or any allergic disease
- have heart, kidney or liver problems
- have systemic lupus erythematosus
- have blood clotting disorder
- have high blood pressure,
- have diabetes
- suffer from any stomach or bowel disorders (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease)
- are smoker
Meloxicam interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Meloxicam?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take meloxicam exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose for adults is 7,5 mg per day.
- The maximum dose for this medicine is 15 mg per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Meloxicam side effects?
Like all medicines meloxicam can cause side effects, including:
- stomach pain, heartburn
- increased appetite
- burning, itching, numbness, or tingling feelings
- dry, or itching eyes
- change in taste
- vision disturbance
- noise in the ears
- decreased urination
- dry mouth
- feeling of illness
- hair loss
- hearing loss
- hot flushes
- nausea, vomiting
- redness, pain, or swelling of the eye
- stomach upset
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.