This medicine contains the active ingredient mebendazole which belongs to a group of medicines called tricyclic anthelmintics. These medicine release our body from the parasitic worms (roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, threadworm, and pinworm) by killing them. Mebendazole is prescribed for the treatment of worm infection by slowly killing both larval and adult stages of nematodes, and the adults and eggs of roundworm and whipworm.
Is Mebendazole suitable for me?
Mebendazole is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to mebendazole or other ingredients of this medicine
- if it is meant for a child under 2 years of age
- if you are pregnant or think you are pregnant.
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- have an intolerance to some sugars
Mebendazole interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Mebendazole?
This medicine is available in form of oral suspension.
You should take mebendazole exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 5 ml dose per person. In the cases of repeated infection, you may take another dose after 2 weeks.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Mebendazole side effects?
Like all medicines mebendazole can cause side effects, including:
- Stomach discomfort
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.