This medicine contains two active ingredients, losartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan belongs to angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). These medicines stop the activation of Angiotensin-II receptors in blood vessels which causes the blood vessels to widen, and the blood pressure to lower. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid.
Lorista H is prescribed for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure).
Is Lorista H suitable for me?
Lorista H is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to losartan, hydrochlorothiazide, or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have low potassium, low sodium or high calcium levels
- If you have serious liver or kidney problems
- If you have difficulty in producing urine
- If you are more than 3 months pregnant
- If you are being treated with aliskiren
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have had a history of angiooedema
- get excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- take diuretics (water pills)
- are on a salt-restricted diet
- have kidney or hearth problems
- plan to have an operation
- have narrowing or blockage of the blood vessels leading to your kidneys
- have received a kidney transplant recently
- have problems with your heart valves or heart muscle
- suffer from coronary heart disease or cerebrovascular disease
- suffer from primary hyperaldosteronism (increased secretion of the hormone aldosterone by the adrenal gland)
- it is not recommended for use in children under 6 years old
Lorista H interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Lorista H?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take Lorista H exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- For the treatment of hypertension, the usual starting dose is one 50 mg/12.5 mg tablet taken once a day. The usual maintenance dose is one 100 mg/25 mg tablet taken once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Lorista H side effects?
Like all medicines Lorista H can cause side effects, including:
- low blood pressure
- nausea, vomiting,
- pain in joints or muscles
- too little sugar in the blood (hypoglycemia)
- reduced number of red blood cells (anemia)
- weakness, tiredness, chest pain
- increased potassium levels
- decreased hemoglobin levels
- changes in kidney function including kidney failure
- feeling of increased heart rate (palpitations)
- severe chest pain (angina pectoris)
- bruising, reduction in white blood cells
- clotting problems
- reduced number of platelets
- shortness of breath
- anxiety, nervousness, panic disorder
- sore throat, breathlessness, bronchitis, pneumonia, water on the lungs
- abdominal pain
- frequent urination
- decreased sex drive, impotence
- nausea, vomiting
- hives, itching, rash
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.