This medicine contains the active ingredient lidocaine. Lidocaine belongs to a group of medicines called local anesthetics which relieve pain on the different body parts. This medicine is used during medical examinations and surgery of the nose and throat; during delivery and after delivery, if the stitching is necessary; during the treatment at the dentist.
Is Lidocaine suitable for me?
Lidocaine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to lidocaine or other amide local anesthetics, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have cuts, sores or ulcers in the throat, mouth or nose
- have an infection of the airways
- have epilepsy
- have heart trouble
- have very low blood pressure
- have problems with your liver or kidneys
- have porphyria (a rare blood disease)
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
Lidocaine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Lidocaine?
This medicine is available in form of spray.
You should take lidocaine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose depends on the type of pain, your age and physical condition.
- The maximum dose for adults is 20 sprays.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Lidocaine side effects?
Like all medicines lidocaine can cause side effects, including:
- irritation at the administration site
- loss of consciousness
- sore throat
- hoarseness or loss of voice
- low blood pressure, which can cause dizziness or light-headedness
- seizures (convulsions)
- difficult or slowed breathing
- slow heart rate
- cessation of breathing or heartbeat
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.