This medicine contains the active ingredient hexetidine which is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent. It acts against bacteria and fungi, and it is used in the treatment of the infections of the throat and mouth, including lesions / mouth ulcers (aphthous ulcers), fungal infection in the mouth (oral candidiasis), sore or bleeding gums (gingivitis), bad breath (halitosis), as well as tonsillitis, pharyngitis and laryngitis. This medicine can also be used before and after dental (tooth) surgery to help prevent the infection.
Is Hexetidine suitable for me?
Hexetidine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to hexetidine, or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Hexetidine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Hexetidine?
This medicine is available in form of mouthwash solution.
You should take hexetidine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- You should rinse your mouth or gargle for 30 seconds, using a minimum 15 ml (approximately 1 tablespoon) of undiluted solution, two to three times per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Hexetidine side effects?
Like all medicines hexetidine can cause side effects, including:
- swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue and throat
- allergic reactions
- irritation, tingling or numbness of the tongue and / or tissue inside the mouth
- shortness of breath
- dry mouth
- increase of salivary glands
- disturbance or loss of taste
- pain, swelling, redness or heat
- change in the color of the tongue or teeth
- blistering or ulceration
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.