This medicine contains three active ingredients, 500IU of sodium heparin, 2,5mg of dexpanthenol and 2,5mg of allantoin, and their activities complement each other. It belongs to the group of medicines known as anti-varicose therapy. Heparin belongs to the group of medicines known as anti-coagulants. These medicines impede the formation of blood clots (thrombus) which can cause stroke or heart attack by blocking the blood vessel. Dexpanthenol is rapidly converted in skin cells to pantothenic acid (precursor of vitamin B5). Pantothenic acid plays a part in both the formation and the regeneration of the skin. This medicine is used for the topical treatment of:
- Surface thrombophlebitis (localized inflammation of the superficial veins and the situation created as a result of thrombosis of superficial veins);
- Surface soft tissue injury resulting from blunt trauma (bruising, hematoma, contusions, etc.).
Is Bostrombin suitable for me?
Bostrombin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to heparin, dexpanthenol, allantoin, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have a lower leg ulcers (open vein wounds on the lower leg) which are bleeding or other bleeding in the skin
- if you have open and / or infected wounds
- in neonates and infants
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- notice an allergic reaction on your skin
- avoid contact with eyes
Bostrombin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Bostrombin?
This medicine is available in form of gel.
You should take Bostrombin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The gel is applied to the affected area 2-4 times a day in a thin layer, without rubbing it into the skin. If necessary, the surface can be covered with gauze and wrapped.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and apply the medicine at the same time each day.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Bostrombin side effects?
Like all medicines Bostrombin can cause side effects, including:
- burning sensation
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.