This medicine contains the active ingredient gentamicin which belongs to a group of medicines called aminoglycoside antibiotics. Antibiotics are widely used for the treatment of bacterial infections by killing bacteria and stopping their growth. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of bacterial infections of the eye and ear. It reduces the inflammation, and treats the infection.
Is Gentamicin suitable for me?
Gentamicin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to gentamicin, aminoglycoside antibiotics or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have a perforated ear drum
- if you suffer from myasthenia gravis
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- wear contact lenses
- have damage inside the ear
- have kidney or liver problems
Gentamicin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Gentamicin?
This medicine is available in form of eye/ear drops.
You should take gentamicin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for the eye is 1 or 2 drops into the affected eye up to six times a day.
- The usual dose for the ear is 2 or 4 drops instilled 3-4 times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Gentamicin side effects?
Like all medicines gentamicin can cause side effects, including:
- ear damage
- hearing loss
- kidney problems
- local sensitivity in the eye,
- transient eye irritation,
- blurred vision,
- burning or stinging sensation, itching
- local sensitivity in the ear,
- skin inflammation
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.