This medicine contains the active ingredient gabapentin which belongs to a group of medicines called anti-epileptic drugs. These medicines are used to treat epilepsy by stabilizing the abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Gabapentin is prescribed for the treatment of various forms of epilepsy, as well as for the treatment of long lasting pain caused by nerve damage (Peripheral neuropathic pain).
Is Gabapentin suitable for me?
Gabapentin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to gabapentin, or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have kidney or liver problems
- have diabetes
- have ever had a mental health problem known as psychosis.
Gabapentin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Gabapentin?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule.
You should take gabapentin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- For the treatment of Peripheral neuropathic pain, the starting dose is usually between 300 mg and 900 mg taken every day. This can be increased to a maximum of 3600 mg taken every day in three divided doses.
- For the treatment of epilepsy, the starting dose is usually between 300 mg and 900 mg taken every day. This can be increased to a maximum of 3600 mg taken every day in three divided doses.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Gabapentin side effects?
Like all medicines gabapentin can cause side effects, including:
- lack of coordination
- viral infection
- tiredness, fever
- pneumonia, respiratory infection,
- urinary tract infection,
- inflammation of the ear
- low white blood cell counts
- changes in appetite
- confusion, depression, anxiety, nervousness,
- difficulty with speaking and sleeping
- memory loss, tremor,
- sensitive skin,
- unusual eye movement,
- blurred vision, double vision
- high blood pressure,
- difficulty breathing, bronchitis,
- sore throat, cough, dry nose
- diarrhea, stomach pain, indigestion, constipation,
- skin problems
- joint pain, muscle pain, back pain, twitching
- erection problems
- weakness, pain, feeling unwell, flu-like symptoms
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.