This medicine contains the active ingredient fluoxetine which belongs to a group of medicines called antidepressants. Medicines like fluoxetine which are Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) help the brain cells to produce higher amount of a chemical serotonin which makes us feel happy and satisfied. Fluoxetine is prescribed for the treatment of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (no control over thoughts or activities, having recurring and persistent ideas that make you do repetitive actions) and bulimia nervosa (eating disorder; overeating followed by vomiting).
Is Fluoxetine suitable for me?
Fluoxetine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to fluoxetine or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as phenelzine, iproniazid, isocarboxazid, nialamide, tranylcypromine and moclobemide, selegiline and linezolid.
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have liver or kidney disease
- have diabetes
- have epilepsy or other fits
- have a bleeding disorder
- have mania or panic disorder
- are receiving electroconvulsive therapy ECT
- have eyes problems
- have heart problems
- have irregular heartbeat
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
Fluoxetine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Fluoxetine?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take fluoxetine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for the treatment of depression is 20 mg taken as a single daily dose. The maximum dose for this condition is 60 mg per day.
- For the treatment of OCD the starting dose is 20 mg taken as a single daily dose during the first two week, and it will be increased to maximum of 60 mg per day.
- For the treatment of bulimia nervosa the recommended dose is 3 capsules (60 mg) daily.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Fluoxetine side effects?
Like all medicines fluoxetine can cause side effects, including:
- feeling sleepy
- trouble sleeping
- feeling weak, tired
- increased sweating
- dry mouth
- feeling sick
- lack of appetite, weight loss
- decreased sex drive or ability
- anxiety, nervousness, confusion, apathy
- tingling or numbness in the hands or feet
- feeling dizzy
- problems with concentration and memory
- blocked or runny nose (rhinitis)
- diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, stomach pain, flatulence
- pain in muscles and joints
- uncontrollable shaking movements
- blurred vision
- rapid and irregular heartbeat sensations
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.