This medicine contains the active ingredient fluconazole which belongs to a group of medicines called anti-fungal agents. These medicines are used to treat and prevent fungal and yeast infections by invading the affected areas of the skin and killing the fungi or impeding their growth. Fluconazole is prescribed for the treatment of the fungal infections of mouth, throat, skin, bloodstream, urinary tract, lungs, genitals, which are developed more frequently if your immune system does not work properly.
Is Fluconazole suitable for me?
Fluconazole is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you have an allergy (hypersensitivity) to fluconazole, or any other ingredient of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have had thrush more than twice in the last six months
- suffer from any other chronic disease or illness
- or your partner have had exposure to a sexually transmitted disease
- have a heart rhythm problem.
- have problems with liver or kidneys.
- have blood condition (porphyria).
Fluconazole interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Fluconazole?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule.
You should take fluconazole exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. You will be prescribed dose according to your condition and needs.
- For example, for the treatment of genital thrush, a single dose of 150 mg will be used.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Fluconazole side effects?
Like all medicines fluconazole can cause side effects, including:
- skin rash
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain, diarrhea
- abnormalities in liver function tests
- fatigue, weakness, fever
- convulsions, dizziness
- pins and needles, tremor
- vertigo, itching
- loss of appetite
- constipation, indigestion, flatulence
- muscle pain
- dry mouth
- increased sweating
- sleeplessness, sleepiness
- liver problems, jaundice
- altered sense of taste, anemia
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.