This medicine contains two active ingredients, 0,15 mg of levonorgestrel and 0,03 mg of ethinylestradiol, which are effective for prevention of pregnancy by controlling the womb lining, the thickness of fluid (mucus) in your cervix or by preventing ovulation.
If you are taking pills by respecting all the instructions, they are very efficient and the probability of becoming pregnant is very low.
Is Microgynon 30 suitable for me?
Microgynon 30 is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to levonorgestrel, ethinylestradiol or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have problems with circulation,
- if you have thrombosis,
- if you have problems with the blood vessels
- if you have had a stroke,
- if you have signs of a heart attack,
- if you have (or have ever had) angina pectoris
- if you have or have ever had breast cancer
- if you have ever had liver tumors
- if you suffer from migraines accompanied by difficulty speaking or spasms,
- if you suffer from inflammation of the pancreas and diabetes,
- if you have unexplained vaginal bleeding,
- if you have liver problems or kidney problems,
- if you are pregnant.
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are smoking
- are obese
- often consume alcohol,
- have high blood pressure,
- have epilepsy,
- high cholesterol,
- have anemia,
- have varicose veins
- have diabetes
- have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- have ulcerative colitis (chronic inflammatory bowel disease)
- have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- have haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS – a disorder of blood clotting causing failure of the kidneys)
Microgynon 30 interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Microgynon 30?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take Microgynon 30 exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Take once tablet at the same time each day for the period of 21 days. After that, stop taking tablets for 7 days, and then continue with the new pack.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Microgynon 30 side effects?
Like all medicines Microgynon 30 can cause side effects, including:
- stomach pain
- weight gain
- depression or mood swings
- sore or painful breasts
- vomiting and stomach upsets
- fluid retention
- loss of interest in sex
- breast enlargement
- skin rash, itchiness
- poor tolerance of contact lenses
- weight loss
- increase of interest in sex
- vaginal or breast discharge
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.