This medicine contains the active ingredient Etamsylate, and it is antihemorrhagic agent (stops the bleeding by activating the first step in the process of hemostasis (the interaction between the endothelium and platelets)). Etamsylate shortens bleeding time and reduce blood loss. It is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of pre- or postoperative capillary bleeding in all delicate surgical procedures or those that include rich vascularized tissue: otorhinolaryngology, gynecology, obstetrics, urology, dentistry, ophthalmology and plastic and reconstructive surgery; treatment of irregular menstrual bleeding between two menstrual periods (metrorrhagia), heavy menstrual bleeding (primary menorrhagia or menorrhagia caused by intrauterine contraceptive device), in the absence of natural causes of bleeding.
Is Etamsylate suitable for me?
Etamsylate is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Etamsylate, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- If you have blood problem “porphyria”
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- have low or unstable blood pressure
- have asthma
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Etamsylate interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Etamsylate?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Etamsylate exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Before surgery: 1-2 tablets (250 mg or 500 mg), 1 hour before surgery.
- After surgery: 1-2 tablets (250-500 mg) every 4-6 hours until there is bleeding.
- Gynecology, menometrorrhagia: 2 tablets taken 3 times a day (1500 mg) during meals with a little water. The treatment lasts 10 days and it should be started 5 days before the expected menstruation.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Etamsylate side effects?
Like all medicines Etamsylate can cause side effects, including:
- Allergic reaction
- Acute porphyria
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.