This medicine contains two active ingredients, 10 mg of Enalapril and 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide. Enalapril belongs to a group of medicines called ACE inhibitors (angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors). These medicines stop the production of angiotensin-converting enzyme which enables the body to produce a hormone called angiotensin II. This causes the blood vessels to widen and lowers the amount of water in the blood. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid. Berlipril Plus is prescribed for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure).
Is Berlipril Plus suitable for me?
Berlipril Plus is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Enalapril, Hydrochlorothiazide or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are more than 3 months pregnant
- If you have serious liver or kidney problems
- If you have difficulty in producing urine
- If you are under 18 years of age
- If you have high calcium or low potassium levels in your blood
- If you have a history of angioedema
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have bone marrow suppression, blood vessel problems (in the brain or heart)
- have gout
- have blood electrolyte problems (high blood potassium levels)
- have an autoimmune disease (scleroderma, lupus)
- have high blood cholesterol or lipid levels
- have diabetes
- have severe immune system problems
- have kidney disease
- are planning operation
- get excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- are more than 70 years old
- have heart, blood or liver problems
- have collagen vascular disease (lupus erthematosus, rheumatoid arthritis or scleroderma)
Berlipril Plus interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Berlipril Plus?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Berlipril Plus exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for hypertension is one tablet taken once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Berlipril Plus side effects?
Like all medicines Berlipril Plus can cause side effects, including:
- blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- decreased urine output
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness
- dry mouth
- fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- increased thirst
- loss of appetite
- muscle pain or cramps
- nausea or vomiting
- numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
- rapid breathing
- shortness of breath
- swelling of the face, ankles, or hands
- tiredness or weakness
- inability to have or keep an erection
- lack or loss of strength
- loss in sexual ability, desire
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.