This medicine contains two active ingredients, doxycycline and ambroxol. Doxycycline is an antibiotic that is used in the treatment of a number of types of infections caused by bacteria and protozoa, and ambroxol, the other active ingredient of this medicine is a secretolytic agent used in the treatment of respiratory diseases associated with viscid or excessive mucus. This medicine is used in the treatment of acute and chronic respiratory diseases that are caused by microorganisms sensitive to doxycycline and followed by viscous mucus (acute worsening of chronic bronchitis and / or sinusitis).
Is Doxy Plus suitable for me?
Doxy Plus is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to doxycycline, ambroxol, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are under 12 years of age
- if you have impaired function of the kidneys or liver
- if you are pregnant or breast-feeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a damaged broncho motor tone and relatively large amounts of mucus
- have acute bronchitis without chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Doxy Plus interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Doxy Plus?
This medicine is available in form of a prolonged release capsule.
You should take Doxy Plus exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose on the first day is two capsules, and after that the usual dose is one capsule a day after a meal.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Doxy Plus side effects?
Like all medicines Doxy Plus can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, vomiting
- fatty stools and diarrhea
- impaired coagulation
- inflammation in the mouth
- difficulty swallowing
- lingua villosa nigra
- generalized exanthema (itching)
- redness of the skin
- urticaria (hives)
- skin rash
- fever, headache and arthralgia
- blood in the urine
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.