This medicine contains the active ingredient donepezil which belongs to a group of medicines called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. These medicines prevent acetylcholinesterase enzyme to break down acetylcholine (chemical that is involved in memory function). By increasing the level of acetylcholine, donepezil slows down the progress of Alzheimer`s disease and reduces the symptoms like memory loss, confusion and behavioral changes.
Is Donepezil suitable for me?
Donepezil is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to donepezil or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have stomach or duodenal ulcers
- have seizures or convulsions
- have heart condition
- have asthma or other lung disease
- have liver problems or hepatitis
- have difficulty passing urine or mild kidney disease
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breast feeding
Donepezil interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Donepezil?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take donepezil exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for the first month of the treatment is one 5 mg tablet taken at night. After the first month the dose is usually increased to one 10 mg tablet taken at night.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Donepezil side effects?
Like all medicines donepezil can cause side effects, including:
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- muscle cramp
- difficulty in sleeping
- loss of appetite
- unusual dreams including nightmares
- agitation, aggressive behavior
- fainting, dizziness
- rash, itching
- passing urine uncontrollably
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.