This medicine contains two active ingredients, Dipyridamole and Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), which belong to the group of medicines known as anti-thrombotic agents or anti-coagulants. These medicines impede the formation of blood clots (thrombus) which can cause stroke or heart attack by blocking the blood vessel. Acetylsalicylic acid is also used for the reduction of pain, fever and inflammation. Aggrenox is prescribed for the prevention of stroke and transient ischemic attack caused by a clot in the brain.
Is Aggrenox suitable for me?
Aggrenox is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to dipyridamole, acetylsalicylic acid or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have any bleeding problems
- if you have ever had a stomach ulcer or intestine (duodenum)
- if you are in the last trimester of pregnancy
- if you have asthma
- if you have polyps in the nose
- If you are under 16 years
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have angina or other heart problems, or have had a heart attack
- have myasthenia gravis (a rare muscle disorder)
- have asthma, hay fever or nasal polyps (growths in the nose tip)
- have kidney problems, or liver problems
- have low blood pressure
- need treatment to lower blood glucose
- suffer from "deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase"
- regularly drink alcohol
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
Aggrenox interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Aggrenox?
This medicine is available in form of a modified-release capsule.
You should take Aggrenox exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose is two capsules per day, one in the morning and one in the evening during meal. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Aggrenox side effects?
Like all medicines Aggrenox can cause side effects, including:
Very common side effects:
- feeling sick, diarrhea
- stomach pain
- chest pain and heartbeat problems
- being sick
- muscle pain
- allergic reactions
- cerebral hemorrhage
- bleeding in the stomach or intestines
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.