This medicine contains the active ingredient Diltiazem which belongs to a group of medicines called 'calcium-channel blockers'. They lower the amount of calcium in the walls of the arteries and in the heart. Diltiazem is used for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) by relaxing blood vessels, and for the treatment of a certain type of chest pain called angina by improving blood supply to the heart muscle.
Is Diltiazem suitable for me?
Diltiazem is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to Diltiazem, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed
- If you are suffering from serious problems with your heart rhythm or heart failure
- If you are taking a medicine called dantrolene
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have any other problems with your heart
- are going to have an operation
- are at risk of mood changes, including depression
- are at risk of gut problems
- have liver or kidney problems
- have diabetes
- have porphyria (a blood disorder)
Diltiazem interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Diltiazem?
This medicine is available in form of a prolonged-release tablet.
You should take Diltiazem exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 60 mg tablet three times a day, or one 90 mg tablet two times a day. This dose can be increased to one 90 mg tablet three times a day or two 60 mg tablets four times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Diltiazem side effects?
Like all medicines Diltiazem can cause side effects, including:
- headache, dizziness, low blood pressure
- indigestion, stomach pain, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea and dry mouth
- itchy, lumpy skin rash
- swollen gums
- difficulty sleeping
- feeling sick and a general feeling of being unwell
- weakness or tiredness
- swollen ankles
- feeling warm
- difficulty sleeping
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.