This medicine contains the active ingredient desloratadine which belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamine. These medicines stop the effects of histamine (a chemical produced in our body after the contact with pollen or other substances) such as hives, itching, sneezing, wet eyes, blocked nose. Desloratadine is also prescribed for the treatment of a skin reaction to allergies in a form of itching and hives (urticaria).
Is Desloratadine suitable for me?
Desloratadine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to desloratadine, or other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have kidney problems
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Desloratadine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Desloratadine?
This medicine is available in form of oral solution and film-coated tablet.
You should take desloratadine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 5 mg tablet taken once a day. The tablet is not recommended for children under the age of 12.
- The usual dose of the oral solution is 10 ml once a day. The usual dose for the children between 6 and 12 years is 5 ml of oral solution once a day, and for the children between 1 and 6 years is 2,5 ml of oral solution once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Desloratadine side effects?
Like all medicines desloratadine can cause side effects, including:
- dry mouth
- allergic reactions, skin rash
- irregular heartbeat
- stomach pain
- muscle pain
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.