This medicine contains the active ingredient cyproterone which belongs to a group of medicines called anti-androgens. These are medicines which have effect on the male hormone androgen by lowering the amount of this hormone in the body and by stopping its actions. This medicine is prescribed for the long-term treatment of the prostate cancer, reduction of the symptoms caused by other treatments, and it is also used for the treatment of hypersexuality in men (increased sexual desire or deviation).
Is Cyproterone suitable for me?
Cyproterone is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to cyproterone or other ingredients of this medicine
- If you have liver problems
- If you have any cancer (except prostate gland cancer)
- If you have meningioma
- If you have wasting diseases
- If you have blood clots (thrombosis or embolism)
- If you are younger than 18
- If you have severe diabetes
- If you have severe depression
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have liver problems
- have depression
- consume a lot of alcohol
- have anemia
- are diabetic
- have a history of blood clots, strokes or heart attacks
Cyproterone interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Cyproterone?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take cyproterone exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- For the treatment of prostate cancer, the usual dose can go from one 50 mg tablet a day up to two 50 mg tablets three times a day (300 mg).
- For the treatment of hypersexuality, the usual dose is one 50 mg tablet two times a day. It should be taken after the meal.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Cyproterone side effects?
Like all medicines cyproterone can cause side effects, including:
- decreased sex drive
- reduced amount of sperm
- reduced ejaculation
- weight changes
- breast swelling
- sweating, tiredness, shortness of breath
- liver problems
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.