This medicine contains the active ingredient clarithromycin which belongs to a group of medicines called macrolide antibiotics. These medicines prevent the growth and multiplication of bacteria. Clarithromycin is prescribed for the treatment of bacterial infections such as infections of respiratory tract, skin, soft tissue, throat and sinus. It is also used for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infections which is connected with stomach ulcers.
Is Clarithromycin suitable for me?
Clarithromycin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to clarithromycin or other ingredients of this medicine
- if have an irregular heart rhythm
- if you have severe liver disease with kidney disease.
- if you have low levels of potassium in the blood
- if you use statins to lower levels of cholesterol in the blood
- in children younger than 12 years
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have kidney or liver problems
- are pregnant or trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
- you have, or have recently had, fungal infections
- have arrhythmia
- have muscle disorder (myasthenia gravis)
Clarithromycin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Clarithromycin?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take clarithromycin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose is 250 mg taken twice a day. If the infection is more serious, the dose may be increased to 500 mg twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Clarithromycin side effects?
Like all medicines clarithromycin can cause side effects, including:
Common side effects
- sleep disturbance
- taste disturbance
- stomach pain
- nausea, vomiting,
- indigestion, diarrhea
- a change in the way the liver works
- skin rash
Uncommon side effects
- redness or itchiness of the skin
- oral or vaginal ‘thrush’
- loss of appetite,
- bloating, constipation, wind
- anxiety, nervousness,
- drowsiness, tiredness, dizziness,
- tremor or shaking
- ringing in the ears, hearing problems
- inflammation of the mouth or tongue
- dry mouth
- joint pain
- muscle pain or loss of muscle tissue
- chest pain
- heart rhythm changes
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.