This medicine contains the active ingredient ciprofibrate which belongs to a group of medicines called ‘fibrates’. These medicines are used for the treatment of hyperlipidaemia (occurs when the level of lipids-fats in our blood is above the normal). Some of the problems that hyperlipidaemia can cause are heart disease, stroke, and blood circulation problems. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of high level of lipids in the blood so that these problems can be prevented.
Is Ciprofibrate suitable for me?
Ciprofibrate is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to ciprofibrate or other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you have liver or kidney problems
- If you are using another fibrate (clofibrate, bezafibrate, fenofibrate or gemfibrozil)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have bile or gallbladder problems.
- have an underactive thyroid.
- have unexpected muscle pains, tenderness or weakness
- have liver or kidney problems
Ciprofibrate interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Ciprofibrate?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule.
You should take ciprofibrate exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is one 100 mg capsule per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Ciprofibrate side effects?
Like all medicines ciprofibrate can cause side effects, including:
- stomach pain, indigestion, and diarrhea
- headache, balance problems
- dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.