This medicine contains the active ingredient cinnarizine which belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamine and calcium channel blockers. It reduces the flow of calcium ions into smooth muscle arteries and causes the expansion of blood vessels (vasodilation). Since it prevents the narrowing of blood vessels (acts as an anti-vasoconstrictor), it is used to relieve symptoms caused by weaker cerebral and peripheral blood flow. It does not affect blood pressure and heart rate. The problems which this medicine reduces are dizzines, sicknes, vertigo. These symptoms are usually caused by the disorders of the inner ear which sends movement messages to the brain. This can happen during travel, and cinnarizine is used to prevent that.
Is Cinnarizine suitable for me?
Cinnarizine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to cinnarizine, or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have parkinsonism (chronic, slowly progressing disease that affects the brain region responsible for deliberate movements)
- if you have extrapyramidal syndrome (movement disorders)
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have low blood pressure
- are older than 65 years
- have blood disease called porphyria
Cinnarizine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Cinnarizine?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take cinnarizine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for the treatment of balance disorders is 1 tablet taken 1 or 2 times per day. The maximum daily dose is 3 tablets.
- The usual dose is two tablets two hours before the trip and if it is necessary 1 tablet every eight hours during the journey.
- For the children between 5 and 12 years, the dose is one tablet two hours before the trip and then half a tablet every eight hours during the journey.
- It is recommended to take the tablet after a meal.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Cinnarizine side effects?
Like all medicines cinnarizine can cause side effects, including:
- uncontrolled movements
- muscle stiffness
- skin rash
- dry mouth, stomach problems
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.