This medicine contains the active ingredient cholecalciferol, which is a biologically active form of vitamin D. Vitamin D is very important for maintaining health of our bones and teeth, and it regulates the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body. Most common disturbance in the body’s calcium levels comes from kidney disorders, disorders of the parathyroid glands, low blood calcium. Cholecalciferol takes calcium from food and helps with strengthening and growth of the bones. It is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of vitamin D deficiency, and some conditions that cause problems with the bones.
Is Cholecalciferol suitable for me?
Cholecalciferol is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to cholecalciferol or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D
- if you have kidney stones or other severe kidney problems
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- if you are using medicines to treat heart condition
- if you have ever had kidney stones.
- have sarcoidosis (immune system disorder)
- are taking additional calcium or vitamin D supplements (including food, sun)
Cholecalciferol interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Cholecalciferol?
This medicine is available in form of oral drops.
You should take cholecalciferol exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your age, condition and needs.
- The usual dose is between 2 and 6 drops per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Cholecalciferol side effects?
Like all medicines cholecalciferol can cause side effects, including:
- skin rash and itchiness
- loss of appetite, loss of weight
- feeling tired, feeling sick, feeling thirsty
- high levels of calcium in the blood or urine
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.