This medicine contains the active ingredient chloropyramine, which belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamines. These medicines reduce the effects of histamine (a chemical produced in our body after the contact with pollen or other substances) by disabling histamine receptors to bind with histamine. If this binding is not disabled, we have symptoms such as itching. Chloropyramine ointment is used for insect bites and itching, for short-term alleviation of localized itching or symptoms resulting from insect bites.
Is Chloropyramine suitable for me?
Chloropyramine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to chloropyramine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if your skin is infected and wet, or if you have eczema
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- plan to use it on large areas of skin and open wounds
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
Chloropyramine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Chloropyramine?
This medicine is available in form of ointment.
You should take chloropyramine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Ointment is applied in a thin layer and rubbed on the diseased part of the skin two or three times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and apply the medicine at the same time each day. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Chloropyramine side effects?
Like all medicines chloropyramine can cause side effects, including:
- photosensitivity (sensitivity of the skin when exposed to sunlight)
- hypersensitivity reactions (allergic reactions)
- allergic reactions on the skin (hives)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.