This medicine contains the active ingredients chlorhexidine and lidocaine. Chlorhexidine has antibacterial effect (it destroys bacteria), and it is used as antiseptic. Lidocaine serves as an anesthetic; it temporarily blocks the pathway of pain signals along nerves. This medicine is intended for treatment of symptoms of sore throat, redness in the throat, discomfort in the throat accompanied with irritability; in case of a bacterial infection accompanied with fever, additional treatment is necessary.
Is Angal suitable for me?
Angal is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to chlorhexidine, lidocaine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if your child is younger than 6 years
- if you are an alcoholic
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
- have phenylketonuria (PKU) (increase level of phenylalanine acid in the body)
- have a fever, severe pain in the throat with difficulty swallowing
- suffer from heart failure
- have impaired liver function
- use medicines to treat heart rhythm disorders (antiarrhythmic medicines)
- are prone to hypersensitivity reactions
- have epilepsy
- in children with the medical history of muscle cramps
Angal interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Angal?
This medicine is available in form of a pastille and oromucosal spray.
You should take Angal exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose is
- For pastille: Adults: 6 to 10 compressed pastilles a day. Allow the compressed pastille to slowly dissolve in the mouth. Children older than 6 years: 3-5 compressed pastilles a day.
- For spray: Adults and children over 12 years: 3-5 sprays on the sore spot, 6-10 times a day. Children from the age of 5: half the dose of adults, meaning 2-3 sprays on the sore spot, 3-5 times a day. Point the nebulizer towards the pharynx and press the top of the dispenser.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Angal side effects?
Like all medicines Angal can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, vomiting
- abdominal pain
- skin hypersensitivity reactions
- rash with itching
- severe hypersensitivity reactions
- flake rash, itching
- swelling of the tongue or throat
- difficulty in breathing
- abdominal pain
- dizziness due to a sudden drop in blood pressure
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.