This medicine contains the active ingredient calcium dobesilate which belongs to a group of vasoactive medicines with presumed effects on endothelial integrity, capillary permeability and blood viscosity. It acts selectively on the capillary walls regulating their physiological functions of resistance and permeability. This medicine is prescribed for the prevention and treatment of damage to the blood vessels of the eye, which may occur in patients with diabetes mellitus (diabetic retinopathy) and for the prevention and treatment of damage to the capillaries in the case of pathological alteration in the venous circulation of the lower extremities, associated with edema.
Is Calcium dobesilate suitable for me?
Calcium dobesilate is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to calcium dobesilate, or to any of the other ingredients in this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
- have recurrent gastritis (recurrent (repeated) inflammation of the gastric mucosa) and peptic ulcer disease (a disease caused by bacterial infection, and sometimes long-term application of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- have impaired liver or kidney function
Calcium dobesilate interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Calcium dobesilate?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule.
You should take calcium dobesilate exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. You will be prescribed your dose according to your condition and needs.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Calcium dobesilate side effects?
Like all medicines calcium dobesilate can cause side effects, including:
- abdominal pain
- joint pain
- very low number of white blood cell
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.