This medicine contains two active ingredients, 500 mg of calcium and 400 IU of colecalciferol. Calcium belongs to a group of minerals which are very important for our bones and muscles. Colecalciferol is a biologically active form of vitamin D. Vitamin D is very important for maintaining health of our bones and teeth, and it regulates the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body.
Calcimonta is used in the prevention and treatment of calcium and vitamin D deficiency in the elderly, and as a supplement to specific treatment of osteoporosis.
Is Calcimonta suitable for me?
Calcimonta is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to calcium, colecalciferol or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have high blood or urine calcium levels
- if you have kidney stones or kidney problems
- if you have excessive amounts of vitamin D in the blood
- if you are allergic to soya or peanut
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are on long-term treatment, especially if you also take diuretics (used in treatment of high blood
- pressure or edema) or cardiac glycosides (used to treat heart disorders)
- have sarcoidosis (an immune system disorder which may cause increased levels of vitamin D in the body)
- have osteoporosis and are unable to move around
- take other products containing vitamin D. Additional doses of calcium and vitamin D should be taken under close medical supervision
Calcimonta interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Calcimonta?
This medicine is available in form of a chewable tablet.
You should take Calcimonta exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The recommended dose is one tablet twice daily.
- The tablet may be swallowed or chewed.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Calcimonta side effects?
Like all medicines Calcimonta can cause side effects, including:
- excessive amounts of calcium in the blood or in the urine
- gastric pain, diarrhea
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.