This medicine contains the active ingredient biperiden which belongs to a group of medicines called anticholinergics. Anticholinergics block the systems that are responsible for the involuntary movement of smooth muscles present in the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, lungs. Biperiden is prescribed for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and symptoms like shaking, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking, tremor. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Is Biperiden suitable for me?
Biperiden is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to biperiden or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have narrow-angle glaucoma
- if you have narrowing of the esophagus
- if you have stomach or bowel problems
- if you have heart problems caused by bleeding
- if you have myasthenia gravis
- if you have difficulty urinating
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have arhythmia
- have epilepsy or seizures
- have prostate problems
- have a history of involuntary movements caused by medicines
- are at risk for glaucoma
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Biperiden interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Biperiden?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take biperiden exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your needs.
- The usual dose is 2 mg orally 3 to 4 times a day. The maximum dose is up to 16 mg per 24 hours.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Biperiden side effects?
Like all medicines biperiden can cause side effects, including:
- blurred vision
- trouble sleeping
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.