This medicine contains live freeze-dried bacteria of the genus Bifidobacterium, which restore and maintain the balance of intestinal microflora. Bifidobacterium help in establishing and maintaining balanced and healthy intestinal microflora of infants and children. They also prevent and reduce diarrhea, flatulence and other digestive disorders that result from the changes in the intestinal microflora. Bifidobacterium are normally found in the small and large intestine where they preserve acid-alkaline balance required for normal working of the enzymes of the digestive system (normal digestion), immune system and intestinal motility (peristalsis). Additionally, they prevent excessive multiplication of harmful bacteria.
Intestinal microflora of infants primarily consists of these bacteria and they are considered very important in early childhood.
Is Bifidobacterium suitable for me?
Bifidobacterium is not suitable for everyone. Do not give it to your child if:
- your child is allergic (hypersensitive) to the active substance or to any of the ingredients
In particular, you must tell the doctor if your child has:
- body temperature above 38 ° C
- blood or mucus in the stool
- diarrhea for longer than two days
- severe diarrhea accompanied by dehydration and weight loss
- diarrhea and suffers from some chronic diseases (eg, diabetes, cardiovascular disease)
- decreased immune resistance of the organism (eg. HIV infection)
Bifidobacterium interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Bifidobacterium?
This medicine is available in form of powder for oral suspension.
You should take Bifidobacterium exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Infants and children up to 2 years: the usual dose is one sachet, once a day.
- Children from 2 to 12 years: the usual dose is one sachet, one to two times a day (eg, morning and evening).
The powder should be mixed with water, juice or milk. The powder can be mixed with baby food.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Bifidobacterium side effects?
Like all medicines this medicine can cause side effects, including:
- hypersensitivity reactions
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.