This medicine contains the active ingredient azelaic acid. Azelaic acid is used in the treatment of acne which appear when the pores on the skin are blocked, and the oil created under the surface of the skin is not able to come out, or caused by the bacterium called Propionibacterium which increases the amount of pimples, blackheads and whiteheads on your skin. It can also be used for the treatment of a skin condition rosacea.
Is Azelaic acid suitable for me?
Azelaic acid is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to azelaic acid or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- using any other skin preparations
- have asthma
Azelaic acid interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Azelaic acid?
This medicine is available in form of a cream.
You should use azelaic acid exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Azelaic acid should be used twice a day, but if you have very sensitive skin use it once a day during the first week of the treatment.
- It should be used for several months, but no more than 12 months at the time.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Azelaic acid side effects?
Like all medicines azelaic acid can cause side effects, including:
- burning, itching or abnormal redness of the skin (erythema)
- scaling, pain, dryness, skin discoloration or irritation
- greasy skin, acne or loss of skin color
- tingling, dermatitis, discomfort or swelling
- allergic reaction, rash
- worsening of asthma symptoms
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.