This medicine contains three active substances, two of which are calcium salts (1000mg of calcium lactate gluconate and 327mg of calcium carbonate), and the third is 500mg of ascorbic acid.
Calcium is an essential mineral, necessary for building and maintaining the bones. It is essential for most of the bodily functions, essential for nerve, muscle, heart function and blood clotting. Calcium is a mediator of the effects of numerous hormones. To perform these functions, calcium needs to be present in certain tissues in sufficient amounts.
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) plays an important role in biochemical processes. It is also necessary for the formation of collagen (found in bone, cartilage, skin and other tissues) and tissue regeneration.
High doses of vitamin C are considered to be effective in the prevention and treatment of upper respiratory tract infections, and it is entered through food because the human body is unable to synthesize it.
This medicine is used when there is the lack of calcium and ascorbic acid which may be due to improper diet or increased need for calcium and vitamin C:
- during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- during the period of rapid growth in children and adolescents
- during the old age
- during the infectious diseases
- during the healing process
- as an adjunct in the treatment of cold and flu.
Is CalciumvitaC suitable for me?
CalciumvitaC is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to any ingredient of this medicine;
- if you have hypercalcemia (increased levels of calcium in the blood);
- if you have hypercalciuria (increased levels of calcium in the urine);
- if you have kidney problems, including kidney stones (nephrolithiasis) and the accumulation of calcium in the kidney (nephrocalcinosis).
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have increased levels of calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria) with mild to moderate renal impairment or if you have excreted kidney stones through urine. In these cases it is recommended to drink lots of fluids. If necessary, your doctor will reduce the dose or interrupt treatment.
- have high levels of oxalic acid in the urine
- suffer from kidney disorders
- have diabetes or if you are on a diet that involves reduced sodium intake
- you should avoid high doses of vitamin D and its derivatives during the treatment with CalciumvitaC, unless your doctor has prescribed so.
CalciumvitaC interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take CalciumvitaC?
This medicine is available in form of effervescent tablets.
You should take CalciumvitaC exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be determined according to your age, weight and condition.
- Adults and children aged 14 years and older: 1-2 effervescent tablets per day.
- Children from 7 to 14 years: 1 effervescent tablet per day.
Dissolve 1 effervescent tablet in a glass of water (approximately 200 ml) and drink immediately. For the treatment of cold and flu, take the medicine for 1 to 2 weeks.
When there is an increased demand for calcium and vitamin C, take the medicine for 4 to 8 weeks. Calcium is best absorbed if you take the medicine between meals.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are CalciumvitaC side effects?
Like all medicines CalciumvitaC can cause side effects, including:
- high level of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia)
- high level of calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria)
- abdominal bloating and gas (flatulence)
- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- abdominal pain
- rash, pruritus, urticarial
- formation of stones in the kidneys or bladder (during the long-term use of high doses of calcium and vitamin C)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.