This medicine contains the active substance aripiprazole which belongs to a group of medicines called antipsychotics or dopamine agonists (for raising the amount of dopamine in the brain). It is used for the treatment of different mood disorders such as schizophrenia and mania. Disorders like schizophrenia cause delusions, hallucinations, disordered thinking and speech, social withdrawal, extreme apathy, lack of drive or initiative, emotional unresponsiveness, and aripiprazole balances the chemical substances in the brain to reduce these symptoms.
Is Aripiprazole suitable for me?
Aripiprazole is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to aripiprazole or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you have:
- high blood sugar
- involuntary, irregular muscle movements, especially in the face
- cardiovascular diseases, abnormal blood pressure
- blood clots
- past experience of excessive gambling
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- had a stroke
- liver, kidney, or prostate problems
- any problems with your breathing
- epilepsy, depression, Parkinson's disease, raised pressure in your eye (glaucoma) or muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis)
- tumor on your adrenal gland
Aripiprazole interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Aripiprazole?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take aripiprazole exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose for adults is 15 mg once a day, and for adolescents is 10 mg once a day. Maximum prescribed dose is 30 mg once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Aripiprazole side effects?
Like all medicines aripiprazole can cause side effects, including:
- uncontrollable twitching or jerking movements
- tiredness, nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain, constipation
- increased production of saliva
- trouble sleeping
- restlessness, feeling anxious
- shaking and blurred vision
- fast heart rate or double vision
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.